Thursday 15 July 2010

Inspired By.. Darlene Prater

In today’s ‘Inspired By…’ I will be interviewing Darlene Prater about her art, her studio space and her inspiration.
Two of my favourite pieces by Darlene are made using natural ‘found objects’ with yarn, handmade paper and ceramic shards which she has skillfully put together to create two unique and inspiring pieces. I’ve asked Darlene to explain more:




“The piece titled “Untitled” is a basket like object. The frame work is made of twigs on a wooden base. The mouth of the basket is an oval embroidery hoop. Twine, yarn, and paper is woven through it. The base is covered by tree fungi and the two cross pieces at the top are part of the root system of an orchid. I hung ceramic shards that I made throughout the piece.”

“Muddy Water is a wall piece that is made of twigs. The paper on it is used coffee filters. It is put together with wire and waxed linen cord. I wrapped river rocks with copper foil and tinned them, then soldered them to the wire to hold them on. It is embellished with raffia that is tied on and hangs down to give movement. This is a piece that I never get tired of looking at. It has a rhythm much like water.”



1. Firstly, What inspires you & your work?
What inspires me…WOW…what doesn’t! Found objects seem to speak for themselves. I get great satisfaction from taking something that is mangled and forgotten, and using it to tell another story, give it a new life.

2. What materials do you like to work with?
My favourite materials are used coffee filters, twigs, rust, cardboard, styrofoam, and yarn are high on my list. Add a little paint, and you have a work in progress.

3. Why did you decide to start blogging about you work?
I was a caregiver for 25 years. That is another story, but after my husband died, I really began to pursue my love of art again… I needed a way for people to see who I am, and what my work was like. A friend introduced me to blogging. It seemed to be the easiest and least expensive way of showing my work. It’s that “old dogs and new tricks” thing. I have been learning a lot about myself, my art, and my abilities to “learn new tricks.”

4. Finally, Are you lucky enough to have your own studio? If so, what is it like?
I am fortunate enough to have a studio in my house. The upstairs is devoted to my art addiction. I also have a walk-in attic where I keep my found materials. I do not have to go far to find something to work with.

To see more of Darlene's beautiful work visit her blog:
http://darleneprater.wordpress.com




No comments:

Post a Comment