Monday 26 July 2010

Linda Unnur Strong - Thread Painting

Linda is a mother and a self taught artist. Her work combines her passion for painting, needle and stitch.
In this interview she shares with us her beautiful work, techniques and what inspires her to make such exciting and creative pieces.

Hello Linda, Please describe your background and the type of work you create.

I am a fifty four year old mother of two grown boys, originally from Long Island, New York, and now living in Minnesota for the past thirty years or so. My interest in art began when I was around eight or nine years old. I’ve always enjoyed painting and crafts of any kind. When I was fifteen years old, ( back in the hippy days) I decided to try my hand at a little embroidery design. I picked up a needle and a spool of thread and stitched the outline of a cute little bunny on my jeans. Well I haven’t put the needle down since! I never learned any fancy embroidery stitches. I use only a basic chain stitch and not much more. The stitches are very tiny and tight. It is very time consuming! (about 1 hour per square inch.) It actually shimmers like silk when in a certain light. Over the years my embroidery has progressed to what I call ” thread painting.” I have only recently ( within the last couple of years) incorporated painting and beads in combination with my embroidery with amazing results. Not only does it take less time to complete a piece, but it adds so much more texture and dimension! I love learning new techniques and playing with various types of embellishments



2. Who or what inspires your creations?
I am constantly inspired by nature and other great artists.
3. Do you have any other favourite artist or bloggers?
Alex Grey, Robin Atkins, Ray Materson



4. & Finally, what is your studio space like?

My studio is quite cramped! Its very small and cluttered, drawers everywhere. Im waiting for my last chick to leave the nest!


Linda’s work is absolutly beautiful and I hope you enjoyed viewing it as much as I did!
If you would like to follow Linda’s blog or view more of her work you can visit her site here

No comments:

Post a Comment