Wednesday 25 August 2010

Anne Marie Desaulniers – Fibre Artist: Interview, Photographs & her Inspiration

Today I will be interviewing artist - Anne Marie Desaulniers who has a very interesting blog that she uses to showcase her her Bead Journal Project pieces. She has been involved in this project for two years.

“The first year I focused on my environment and this year I seem to be doing colour studies based on my serindipity landscapes.  The stories normally come as the piece evolves.  All my work is intuitive, so I wait for the muse to direct me.”



Can you describe your background – location, job, hobbies, when you first began blogging & creating art.

I’m a billing manager at a long term care pharmacy, as far from an artistic environment as you can possibly find. However, I’ve been interested in art since I was a child and during the school years, took every opportunity to exercise my artistic spirit.  After I started working, this was back burnered and didn’t reappear until after I moved to Toronto, ON, CANADA (from Vancouver, B.C.) and took up quilting.  I played with traditional quilting for a couple of years and then started getting interested in art quilting, fibre art and all sorts of other techniques including beading.  I dabbled in beading, but never focused on it until the BJP.  I also love to include unexpected and recyled elements in each of my projects.  I visit thrift shops and have been know to pick up rusty objects from the streets.  My March bjp included a squashed eyeglass frame that I found in a grocery store parking lot.

2. Who or What inspires you?
My muse, my materials, colour, techniques, serendipity and the environment.

3. About your pieces – What techniques do you use? Do you experiment with new ideas? How long does it take to complete one piece?
On the BJP pieces you’ve selected, I create an acrylic paint monoprint on recycled fabric and then use both hand and free motion embroidery to turn them into what I call a serendipity landscape.  I then choose a shape for the landscape and peyote stitch a bezel to fix it to the background.  After that, I choose bead colours that echo the landscape and do a lot of free form bead embroidery.  I mainly use beaded backstitch, stacked stitch and a filler stitch called bocce or picot.  My favourite resource book is Robin Atkins’ “Hearts To Hands Bead Embroidery” book.   You can check your local bead store, but Robin also sells it off her blog. Yes, but probably too many to list and I’d hate to leave anyone out.  For artistic eye candy, I would recommend the bead journal project website and blogs (listed at the bottom of the website).  Stitch – Jan Beaney & Jean Littlejohn, the late Val Harding, Maggie Grey and many, many others.  For pure pleasure, I have a few of the “500″ books from Lark Books.  So far I have 500 Beaded Objects (both Robin and her brother have pieces in this book); 500 Baskets; and 500 Handmade Books




5.  Are you working on any pieces/projects/exhibitions at the moment?
I decided to take a year off from exhibiting, scaled down my swap activity and decided to focus on the BJP.  I’m a little behind, but do expect to catch up before the end of the year. I needed time to tweak my priorities and get back on track for the sake of my artistic future.


& Finally – 6. Are you lucky enough to have your own studio space? If so, what is it like?
My studio space is my very small spare bedroom.  No bed, but full of a jumble of storage solutions.  Not something that I normally show to the public.  It’s humble, but it’s my own and I don’t need to share it.   Beading is done in front of the TV in the living room.  Monoprinting and painting happen either in the kitchen or out on the balcony (weather permitting).


I am so glad I have been able to share Anne Marie’s amazing work with you and I hope she has inspired you as much as she has inspired me! Her attention to detail, intricate stitches and wonderful colour palette are simply lovely.
You can follow her blog by clicking here




No comments:

Post a Comment