Tuesday 3 August 2010

Jennifer Dixon - Jewellery & Fibre Artist: Interview and Studio Tour.

Hello again!
Today I have a wonderful interview with Jennifer Dixon - a fantastic self taught artist who creates beautiful jewellery which include an interesting combination of beads, fabrics, metals and chain.



Hi Jennifer, It's lovely to have you here at Inspired:Finds. Firstly, could you tell us a little bit about your background and how you became interested in art?
I am a 43 year old self-taught artist and mom of two girls, 12 and 15 and "almost" step mom to my fiance's three boys ages 11, and 12 year old twins.  My fiance Dan, is my biggest supporter and has always really encouraged me to do my art and share it with the world.  

Ever since I was a little girl I have been interested in just about every medium of art.  My grandmother taught me how to crochet and would give me her fabric scraps so I could sew clothes for my barbie dolls and sometimes I would even fashion a skirt, headband or something for myself.  I also enjoyed painting, drawing and any kind of mixed media and paper arts or even building something with my Dad's tools out of scraps of wood and building supplies.  

I started making jewelry for myself about 12 years ago after my youngest daughter was born.  I gave some pieces as gifts to close friends and family and with their encouragement I started to sell my jewelry through trunk shows in people's homes and in consignment shops.  I love the ever evolving and endless possibilities of the art.  I also love mixed media collage and fabric/fiber arts which has let me to combine all these mediums in some of my jewelry as well as incorporating jewelry and beads into my fabric collages.





So, When and why did you decide to start blogging about your work -Do you feel it has helped your practice at all?
I started blogging about a year ago, although I got a very slow start.  It took a lot of courage to put myself out there for the world to see.  Now that I am blogging on a more regular basis I find I am meeting more and more people that have the same interests that I do and it is so motivating getting compliments and positive feedback from my peers.  I think blogging has also helped me grow as an artist because I find that I push myself to higher standards with every piece I make because I know I will be presenting it to the world on my blog when it is finished. 




& Now for my favourite question: Who or what inspires you?
My inspiration comes from many different sources. I am inspired by the shapes and materials in nature as well as industrial elements such as metal, glass and wire. Sometimes just being in my studio surrounded by all my beautiful beads, fabrics and findings is my inspiration. I am also inspired by other artists and their work.  Ruth Rae, KC Willis, Lisa Jurist, Claudine Hellmuth, Nina Bagley, Cindy Wimmer Sally Jean Alexander and Amy Hanna are just a few, and I mean few,  of the artists who's work and blogs inspire me.



How do you create your pieces? Do you use any interesting techniques?
I use many different techniques in my jewelry.  I use wire wrapping, stringing, soldering, metal smithing and metal work in my jewelry.  I have recently started to play with resin as well.  I have been also mixing mediums in my jewelry and combining fabric and fibers with metal, chain and beads in my jewelry.  I love the the textures of hard metal and wire mixed with the soft fibers and fabrics.  



Okay, and finally... Where can you be found online?
My blog is:  http://jenniferdixonart.blogspot.com, my Facebook name is, "Jennifer Dixon Art" and my Etsy shop is: http://jenniferdixon.etsy.com.

Thank you again, Helen, for your interest in my art!  :)



Some Photos of Jennifer's beautiful studio space!



I'd like to thank Jennifer Dixon for sharing her work with us and I'm sure she would appreciate your thoughts & comments!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent interview with such a talented artist! Jennifer's creations are beautiful and fresh works of art...and such an inspirational place to create too!

    ReplyDelete